Over the last few weeks we delivered two of our 300L cheese vats to two small cheese makers. One went to Sussex, Gimblett Cheese and the other to Mario Olianas in Leeds. Both have been making cheese for a while and are growing their businesses. Both have been at it for a long time and have a solid base.
During the same time 3 cheesemakers have folded. One relatively large, and a small one, both in Scotland and a small one in Northern Ireland. The reasons are hard to find out. The 2 in Scotland claim it has to do with the market and one of them makes a raw milk cheddar and also found the attitude of the Scottish officials to be very anti raw milk cheese. However, long matured cheese should not be a problem at all. I think that there are also personal reasons behind the closures. Making cheese and selling them is not as romantic as people think. Yes, many cheese makers are feted in the press. It seems a very glamorous job, everybody loves cheese makers. However, in the end it is also a job and not always exciting. Farmers who make cheese understand that and I notice that they do not give up that easy. Also, they have their own milk and when you have to buy the milk there is a cost which is higher than the farmer’s milk. So, cheese making is not always a walk in the park. Make sure you are ready for that and have thought it through. And when you have, make contact, because we can supply you with the right equipment and ingredients.
As we get closer to the end of 2017 we have a look at our activities over this last year.
Looking at the range of products we supply, it has expanded and our activities have taken us also to new markets, both geographically and product wise.
A summary of the successes of 2017.
1. ASTA-eismann, manufacturer of Dairy equipment.
A number of our small vats have been delivered to customers in the UK, Ireland and abroad.
Farmhouse cheese makers from Scotland to Malaysia starting processing through the year.
A sheep cheese dairy, expanded in Australia and we were glad to supply the equipment to improve the efficiency of this dairy.
A number of our butter churns have also found new homes. Butter seems to be a popular product.
Who listens to a salesman? I do. But when a customer, not sponsored in any way, sings the praises of a product, we listen double. Here is such a review for our 100L rectangular starter vat, which comes complete with agitator, electric elements and movable frame:
This vat is the best investment for a growing cheesery. We are now working with 100 litres of milk, with plenty of capacity. It retains its temperature well (and we use 2 thermometers to confirm it), we also use it to drain large amounts of curd, the lids back up as presses where limit weight is required, the pasteurisation process is very simple, it cleans easily, and surprisingly it doesn’t take up a lot of space. If I had any criticism at all, it doesn’t have anywhere to place one’s thermometer, and you will notice that I have created my own design (patent pending). More than happy to recommend this vat to anyone, and happy to answer any questions from a potential buyer.
Stephen Cope, Owner/Cheesemaker at Finca Estana y Quesaria, Colombia
We are glad to announce the first installation of Bio-Oxygen at an artisan dairy in the UK. We will follow the effect of the machine closely and when we have a report of it’s effectiveness, we will share that with you.
What is Bio-Oxygen?
Bio-Oxygen prevents cheese from becoming overgrown with white and green mould during the fermentation process without affecting the fermentation and the taste and flavour. When the cheese comes out of the fermentation or maturing room, it is completely clean. The cheese does not have to be washed and peeled, which is labour intensive and non-productive. In addition to that, the cheese peel is thrown away and is a total loss. In the process of course the cheese wheels get smaller and smaller. This is not commercially viable. The Bio-Oxygen process prevents all of that. Clean cheese wheels look better and sell better. Furthermore cheese wheels stay clean and don’t have to be subsequently washed and scraped by the retailer.
Bacteria Sterilisation – In sterile environments such as food preparation Bio-Oxygen is used to sterilise the air inside the preparation area as well as on the surfaces. Allied Chefs, Australia, installed Bio-Oxygen for their pasta and ready meals operation at Kings Park. They conducted a before and after swab test. Using Bio-Oxygen the results show a reduction of 99% of airborne bacteria and a 90% reduction in surface bacteria. (I can provide test result sheet if required). Similarly we have customers using our system for this purpose in all different food production facilities such as Healthier Eggs Ltd and So Natural Foods for milk in Australia.
The process also prevents tainting of food with other food odours and flavours which allows different foods to be stored in a holding room without any problem. It saves having to build separate cool rooms for different types of food.
To give you some information about our solution:
• The unique Bio-Oxygen process is environmentally friendly using the oxygen molecules found naturally in ambient air and rearranging them into Oxygen Clusters.
• This method effectively kills Bacteria, Fungus, Yeast, Mould, Mildew, Spores, Protozoa and other Pathogens and also remove Odours, Gases, VOCs and Chemical Fumes and Vapours and repel Cockroaches and Rodents.
• The Bio-Oxygen method is unique as we treat the fresh air supply. This is then introduced to the polluted air treating, eliminating and extracting bacteria and odour.
• Our Australian manufactured Bio-Oxygen units are installed in the air-handling units where they continually disinfect, decontaminate and deodorise the supply air as it flows through the mixing plenum. No down time for cleaning or sterilising the manufacturing, fermentation or distribution areas.
• It works. We believe we are the only company in the world that can guarantee bacteria/odour free results. We provide a Bio-Oxygen Performance Guarantee.
• Bio-Oxygen can treat and remove over 216 chemicals from the air stream and surfaces.
• Our system is 100% Natural, environmentally friendly, healthy and safe. We do not use carbon filters, UV, Ozone or harmful chemicals.
• We have been established for 35 years in Australia and worldwide for the last 15 years.
Contact us for more information if you are interested.